Friday, July 15, 2011

Canning Recipes and a Mug Rug Swap



This is a mug rug I made for a swap on the sewing group I belong to.  I made this for Val and she has since received it and loves it.
I think I'll be making more mug rugs; they are fun to design and a quick to make.  I have more of the Java-like panels, too. 
Those strawberries are making me HUNGRY!

Now, as promised, here are some recipes I've collected in the past years.  Linda at Prairie Flower Farm is having a giveaway for some great canning items and is encouraging some to share recipes.  Check this out, because it ends July 19th.  That's what got this started for me.  She is also running a special on an adorable apron pattern $5.75 until the end of July.  You don't want to miss it!

Fresh Corn Relish
8 ears fresh corn, husked
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large tomatoes peeled and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped scallions

Bring a large kettle of water to a boil over high heat.  Add the corn, cover, and return to a boil.  Remove kettle from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.  Drain corn and let cool.  In a large bowl, mix the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, salt, sugar, basil, and cayenne pepper.  Cut cooled corn off cob and add to mixture.  Add the tomatoes, green peppers, and scallions.  Mix well, cover, and chill for several hours.  Serve in a bowl lined with salad greens. 

Dill Pickles

sterilize  pint jars.  Fill with even sized cucumbers.  Put one spray of dill (from your garden or buy at the Farmer's Market) in each jar.  
Then heat on stove:
2 quarts water
1/2 cup salt
1 1/2 cup vinegar
Heat, then pour over pickles while hot and seal at once.  This makes 4 quarts. 
*Sometimes, I skip the sealing and just keep them in the fridge.  They get eaten up so fast.  Also, when friends and family find out you've canned them, they want some. hehe

I'm still hunting down my sweet pickle sticks recipe. Hmm where did it go?

Enjoy!!





No comments:

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips